Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cycling....I just plain suck.

I am three weeks away from my first Tri of the year.  I am excited, and nervous.   I know I can get through the swim. It will be weird to be in open water again, but I am looking forward to that a little.   The run no problem.  The bike.....well, I just suck, plain and simple. I am not worried that I won't be able to complete it, I just know I will be slow.  The course is hilly from what I understand, and I just don't have the speed on the hills.  I suck at climbing, add any wind and I suck even more!  

I hoped that getting a trainer and riding that all winter I would be better off this spring.   So far I am not feeling it.  Finally some warm days have come along, and I have been able to get on the road.  It is so much nicer, but I don't feel any faster or better than last year.  I know I am just getting started. I have only been riding for a year now, but some improvement would be nice.  I am sure I have a better base, and maybe it just means by the end of the season the improvement will really show.  I hate it, but I will be doing more climbing, and more speed intervals, and whatever else Coach Rob decides to throw at me.   After my first tri, RAGE, and after my marathon in May, its focus time on doing my best at BAM and Bear Lake.  Where I can improve the most....the bike.   I think if I really crank up my bike, I can do really well in age group triathlon.   I love it and will do it no matter what, but if I can be a little competitive even better.  :) 

So I will do the best I can at Rage.  I have a couple more weeks to try and build up some speed.  I just plan on doing the best I can do, and accept that I have a lot of work ahead of me.    So I will try not to count how many people pass me up on the bike, but look forward to maybe catching a few on the run. 

My daughter pointing out my sweat.   She had to get the camera.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there! You'll get faster, especially if you work with Coach Rob. It takes time (so I hear! :), but your hard work will pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does get better. The seeds are planted. Now about that sun....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not feel faster, but I think what you will feel come race day is stronger. You're building a base just like you already have in running.

    Erik V have me some of the best advice I've ever received as a triathlete that has a strong run split but was struggling with the bike. He said to push the bike harder than you think you should, because your run is strong enough that you'll likely still have a faster run split compared to others anyway.

    I'm excited to hear how Rage goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do this you have a great base. Any ways you will push yourself come race day. Cuz that is who you are. You can only compare yourself to you and no one else.

    ReplyDelete