Friday, March 19, 2010

Finally!

It is finally warm enough, to ride without freezing, and to run in shorts. It will not last, but there will be more. Daylight savings just started or ended (not sure which) so more daylight after work is wonderful. I love the longer days, more time for riding, biking, swimming, climbing, hiking, enjoying the outdoors in general. If only I didn’t have to work.

It has been a while since my last post. I have been continuing my training, and I am starting to get nervous about my first triathlon coming up in about 4 weeks. I have been riding the trainer all winter, but I am not sure how much that is going to help my overall speed on the bike. I really stink on the bike. I suck on climbing, but I hope my training has at least built a good foundation. I have been able to get out a few times to ride the roads, and I love it. So nice to finally be off of the trainer, how much I have improved or will improve is still to be determined. Yesterday I met with a friend and we did 33 miles. It was a good ride, lots of climbing in the beginning, and it felt easier than last year. I hope that is a good sign. My stupid bike computer will not work. I get it all rigged inside, seems to work, the sensor seems to be catching, but as soon I really start riding it doesn’t seem to pick up the signal. I am ready to give up and buy a new computer or buy the bike mount for my Garmin. Maybe, there is someone who can fix my problem? I would rather not spend more money if I don’t have too, but if I do, any recommendations? Those of you that use the Garmin bike mount do you like it, or would a regular bike computer be better? Maybe the four people who read my blog will have an answer. 

Man, it is amazing what a week of a little rest will do. I decided to take a rest week on my running mileage, before making a final push for Ogden Marathon in May. I realized I needed it after running 11 miles, and then the next morning I ran 6 so I could go ski that afternoon. The six miles were hard, my legs were heavy, muscles tight, and they did not want to turnover at my regular speed. It felt more like the last six miles of a marathon. That day my legs were so tight all day. I so need to get a foam roller and really should do some yoga. These are some must do’s, that I keep putting off. I allowed myself to recover the following day, and on Saturday, I ran six miles at a good pace, then ran another six slow with my sister. The legs felt much better, and I could tell they appreciated the rest. Sunday I was going to do a 6-8 mile run, but I decided to rest another day. This was a little hard to do, and I had to keep justifying the rest in my head. Well, on Monday the rest was certainly justified. I went to the track for some speed work. I warmed up two miles, and decided to do 4 800’s with 2 min rest, and then 6 400’s. I tend to go out too fast, so I kept this in mind and tried to control myself on the first 800. My time 3:13. My next three, 3:09, 3:10, and 3:07. I was very pleased with this. There was a group of people doing 400’s. I did the first two on my own, while they were finishing up one and resting. First 400, 90 seconds, one minute rest, 2nd 400, 89 secs. I couldn’t believe that. Rest one minute, started with group for the next 2 400’s. 85sec, 86sec. Two more 86sec, and 86sec. I really was surprised to run 400m in less than 90sec, conclusion rest works!

I talk about my races and training a lot, but not so much about my great kids. They are wonderful, and are the most important subjects of my life. I need to thank them more often for being understanding and supportive in my training efforts. They don’t complain when I am ten minutes late picking them up, or when I am gone most of a morning doing a long run. My daughter lets me use her Ipod, since mine broke, and they all have to deal with my stinky sweat while on the trainer or when I pick them up after a workout. Their friends probably don’t know what I look like without running tights and beanie on my head. So thanks kids!

I love triathlon and running my kids love:

Theater



















Dance
will add pic soon


Legos
will add pic soon

1 comment:

  1. I got myself the Garmin Multisport kit, with the bike mount and the wrist strap. Well worth the money in my opinion! I especially like how I can set up a multi-sport session prior to a tri, and use it for almost the entire race...

    ReplyDelete