Monday, May 24, 2010

Women of Steel Race Report



Women of Steel Tri May 22, 2010


Nice and short sums it up. The weather not so nice, but it could have been worse.

Swim was cancelled. It was cold and raining. I was prepared to swim, and prepared with gear for colder weather, but I guess the race directors were concerned, and decided to cancel the swim. I think most of the people were happy with this decision, I didn’t hear many complaints. The swim was replaced with a one mile run. The race directors did a good job announcing the change, and explaining the new course, and race start was not delayed. Thumbs up to the race directors for being prepared and organized.

One mile run

They started us in waves of 100 starting with 0-100. I was very cold before starting the race, so it took a little bit to warm up. I also completely forgot my Garmin, so I had to pace myself based on feeling. I ran pretty quickly. I moved through the crowds of ladies that started ahead of me, and before I even knew it I was at transition. I think I could have pushed the run a little faster. 7:36

T1

Again, I need to get quicker here. I took off my running shoes as quickly as I could, and then put on the bike shoes. I really need the faster Tri shoes. It was nice not having to put socks on wet feet. I put on an additional jacket for the bike and was out. 1:30

Bike

The bike was a two loop course. I think I kept a pretty good pace rate the first loop, only had a couple gals pass, and caught a few back up. The second loop, I lost some speed, I think I tend to get comfortable and forget to keep pushing. I know getting my bike computer on will help with this; I unfortunately did not have time before the race. I am getting better, and I am definitely more comfortable in the aero position. My average speed 18mph, my best so far in a race. It still needs to be faster, but I am glad to see some improvement. 42:29

T2

I body was warm enough on my bike, but my feet were cold. I realized they were numb when I dismounted. I wobbled my way to transition. I sat down to put on my running shoes that were already tied. I should try the Yankz again. Put on my visor, and removed both jackets. 1:25

5K Run

Running with cold numb feet is a little awkward. So it took me a little while to shake it out, and get a good smooth pace on the run. I was able to catch up to a few ladies that had passed me on the bike. A few even commented when I passed, with “nice run”.  I love running and having targets to catch. 21:24

Finish

1:14:26, 7th in Age group, 23rd overall

Again this just confirms where I need to improve. I must get more speed on the bike. All six ladies in front of me had faster bike times. Only two had faster run times. Quicker transitions, quicker bike….and I will be right there. Bike intervals here I come.


1 comment:

  1. Nice job Karie so proud of ya. We can do bike intervals together. We start together, you ride past I catch up. Then you speed up and I catch up yet again. Lol

    ReplyDelete