Monday, February 1, 2010

Winter Series 5k Race Report

This is a fun casual race, that brings some fast runners.  It is hosted by the Salt Lake Track Club, which in my opinion is the best running club in the area, and membership is practically nothing.  This will be my second year participating in this series. 

The race takes place out at Saltair.  For those not familiar with the area, this is a building located on the salt flats of the Great Salt Lake.  The run is just an out and back on the frontage road that follows I-80.  

Saltair Pavillion (minus the green and add a little snow)

Since it is winter here, and the races are short, the start time is a reasonable time of 10am.  Plenty of time to wake up, eat a good breakfast, take my time getting ready, and make the approximately 20 minute drive.   The sun was shining, and the temp was 25 degrees at 9am.   Not bad.   Perfect weather for a race.  

I arrived at location at about 9:15.   Walked inside the pavillion to pick up my race packet, and right away see familiar faces.  This is a benefit of a small race put on by your local track club buddies.  I head towards the table for packet pick up and notice a nice size line, but thankfully, Olaf spots me, yells "Underwood" is here, gets my packet and hands it to me, along with a big hug.  Now I just feel special.  Jim comes around and gives me a hug as well.  Hopefully, the people in line didn't mind.  Join the club, and you'll get the same treatment next year.    I see a few more familiar faces and say hello.  I take my packet back to my car, and head to the road for warm up.  A nice brisk wind heading out, but not too cold.  I ran about a mile out and back and ran back in the building for a trip to the bathroom.  Another great reason to do this race indoor bathrooms, no port-o-potties!   Back outside, shed a layer of clothing for the race, and got another five minutes of warming up.  


Warm up on the way out.

Warm up on the return.

The race started right on time.  I am not sure on the total amount of people but I would say maybe close to 300.  Gun goes off, and I realize I should have gotten a little closer to the front.  I am stuck behind a couple of slow people, and I nearly trip over a dude that does stumple.  I get around and try to get in my groove.  About half mile down the road I look at my pace, it was a little slow, so I picked it up.  Just before the turn around I pass  the people ahead of me, not too many, but amazed at how fast they can run.  The run back was warmer with the wind on the back, but overall I felt pretty good, even with the slight cough and cold.  Finally could see the finish line, and picked it up for the finish.   My official time was 21:05.  I did have a goal of under 21, so I missed it by six seconds, but it is still a PR.  That averages at 6:48 per mile. 
 
              Probably about .5 mile from finish.

After I finished, I cheered on fellow runners, and then took a cool down jog back up the course about 2 miles.  Here is a pic of Gretchen, Georgi, and I cooling down.

 


Looking back, I could have picked up the first mile a little bit, and I will definately get further up front for the 10K in two weeks.  Overall, I am pleased with my perfomance.   I place 4th in my age group (it was the fastest age group, and was 8th female overall.  

Looking forward to the 10K on Feb. 13. 


No comments:

Post a Comment