Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rage Triathlon April 17, 2010


This has taken me forever.  I have just been really busy, but finally here is my race report.

My goal for this race was to get it done, and try to survive the bike.  I knew the bike course was going to be difficult and slow.  I had not had many rides outside, and this was a hilly course.   I wanted to just have fun, and use the race as a marker to improve on this summer.  

I drove down to Las Vegas, Lake Mead, on Thursday afternoon.  I stayed at the Hacienda which was right next to Lake Mead, close to the race start.  Your typical Las Vegas hotel, with the stench of cigarettes, and the blinking lights of slot machines.  We were on the 14th floor, so we couldn't resist the temptation of throwing paper airplanes out the window.  We at least picked up the ones we could find that landed on the ground.  Friday morning I went for a planned 3 mile run on a trail I saw from the hotel window.  I say planned 3 mile run, because it quickly turned into almost 6.  What a cool run.  I started on the trail, it bent around to have a view of the lake, and then I see a tunnel, then another, and another, about to turn around , and I see another tunnel.  I went through five tunnels, then the sign said, 5th tunnel to Hoover Dam.   I was almost at mile 3 at this point, but I wanted to go a little further to see if I could see the Dam, I ran about another .3 miles and could see the trail winding down, but decided to finally turn around, despite my curiosity and excitement.  What a great run, will definitely have to visit it again, and make it to the Hoover Dam, via a running trail.  I was planning on joining some fellow Sharks for a swim later that day when they arrived, but they forgot to call  me, and I was having fun doing other things.  I did visit the Hoover Dam, and we went on the Dam tour.  The Dam tour guide didn't seem to like us very much, we kept wondering away from the crown to take pictures. It was nice to just relax and goof off, and the weather was absolutely beautiful, it was nice to finally be in warm weather, with the cold spring we have been having in SLC.  Picked up the race packet in Henderson.   I was disappointed they weren't doing body marking there, it said they were, and it would have been one less thing to worry about come race morning.  We had a less than mediocre dinner at the hotel buffet, tried to eat was seemed most safe for a pre-race meal, and luckily no bad reactions.   Slept pretty good that night, not too nervous.

Race morning

I woke up at 5:30.  Ate some oatmeal, with a little Greek yogurt, and a banana.   My standard breakfast.  Now I was nervous, went through my bag at least three times to make sure I had everything.   Finally, left the hotel just before 6:30 to the beach.   I should have arrived sooner.  It was hectic, and I didn't pay attention. I threw my bike and gear down where I saw space, and just before walking down to beach, I realized the bike racks were numbered by race number.  Thankfully I wasn't too far off, and I quickly moved my things last minute.   I found Sandy, and Cindi and we went down to the beach together. 



Swim

Getting in the water was a little hard, it was a little chilly, but really not that bad.  Got in the water to allow my body to adjust, got the head wet, and then the gun went off.   I started off pretty good, the buoys were really hard to see with the glaring sun, but used the faster swimmers to help in the beginning. This was probably the biggest race I had done, and it was more crowded.  I had managed so far, to get by in triathlon without much contact in the swim, well now it was my turn.  I kept getting kicked and elbowed, I did my best to keep going, but a couple of times I had to stop to get back my focus.  Got into a good rhythm, then started to catch the slower big guys, and found them hard to get around, and they also kept bumping into me or stopping right in front of me.  All in all, I made it back to shore, my swim time 30:44, about 4 minutes faster than Bear Lake last August, improvement is good.



T1- Transition went slowly, need to get Tri shoes, that would help, and why did I put on gloves, they were hard to put on, and I  probably don't need them for a race.   Anyway, 4:44 is way too long.....got to work on that!

Bike

I got on the bike, and started to roll, I felt good most of the time, I tried to push myself as much as I thought I could.  I must get a new bike computer.  I couldn't get it to work the night before, something I have been struggling with for weeks, so I just took all the bike computer stuff off, knowing it would be more of a frustration seeing it not work. I wore my Garmin, but it was hard to look at it on wrist while riding.  I think I could have  pushed it more, if I had a working bike computer to tell me my speeds.   I made it up the hills, and love the downhills, but I knew I was slow.   I did get passed, by four girls, but I caught three of them in the last 5 miles.  That made me a little happier.   The last hill I as ready to quit, but I turned around and it was downhill to transition!   I must work on my hill climbing, and getting stronger on the bike.  I knew however this was my weak point, and I did better than I thought.  1:34:07.....crappy one of the slowest in my age group, but I will get better, just wait!



T2

Again slow.  Getting those bike shoes off, just takes too much time, and I was dropping everything.  Need to calm down, but I wanted to get my run on, its the part I am good at.  So, note to self, calm down.   2:32

Run

My favorite part!   My legs were a like jello at first, especially on the rocky trail that the run started on.   Finally, I got my groove, made my way up the hill passing people left and right.  Some guy said to another guy as I passed, "check her out she is hauling", that made me smile.  I passed Sandy on the run out, and knew I would catch her, another smile (yet she is 12 years older than me).  At turn around my left foot was asleep.  I have had this problem a few times prior to race when running hills.   It makes getting speed on downhills a little harder, but I managed, and the numbness faded a bit.  I passed Sandy, and many other people.   I felt good, hot, but good.   I wasn't used to the heat.  It really wasn't that hot, by any means, but 80 is hot when the warmest weather you have run in previously was maybe 60.   Back on the trail, and my foot was still numb, this made managing the rocky uneven ground that much harder.  Passed a few more people, had my eyes on the finish line, and splat!  I totally tripped!  Literally 200 yards from the finish!  Thankfully, I was hidden from the crowd at the slight bend and a small tree blocking their view.   I got back up, didn't let anyone pass me even with my fall, and made it to the finish.   Run 48:59.  I can do better, but given the rocky trail, hotter weather, and the fall, I am OK with it. 

Total time 3:00:33


Last thoughts

I know exactly where I must focus, I knew before, and I know even more now.  This summer primary focus will be about getting stronger on the bike.  Despite my weak bike leg, I placed 7th of 14 in age group, and 23rd of 62 women.  Not too shabby.  If I can cut off that bike time, and get faster on transitions, I know I can do well in my age group, maybe even place.  I have a lot of work to do, it is a competitive age group.  Focus on Ogden marathon, get it done, then I will work with Coach Rob to improve my bike.  I know I can do it.  Triathlon for life!

2 comments:

  1. so we need to do a tri together too. I assume the run was a 10k. what were the swim and bike distances ? yes jelly legs is common after T2. way to go on this tri, I will have to look into it for next year Karie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice report Karie, and nice run! Yes I do think with an improved bike split you could be very competitive - keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete